A Car Accident Lawyer Is Needed During an Accident
After any car accident, you should focus on your health and well being. Questions and concerns may arise in your head about what comes next. Depending on the type of car accident and the severity of your injuries, you may face a long road to recovery.
What happens behind the scenes is important, too. When you’re in an accident, the insurance company of the at-fault driver will immediately begin working to show that you played some part in the accident and that you should not receive any compensation for your injuries. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, and if they pay out the full value of every claim, they won’t maximize their profits. That’s why you need a car accident injury lawyer whom you can trust to have your best interests at heart, work to combat the insurance company, and help you recover.
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
After being injured in a car accident, you may wonder about what to do next and whether you should go forward on your own. You know you probably need to make an insurance claim. However, if you have never been in this position before, you may not know your rights or how to file an insurance claim. This is a reason to hire a car accident lawyer. An experienced attorney can take the burden of the insurance claims process off your shoulders
You Should Hire a Car Accident Lawyer to:
- Investigate your accident
Sometimes car accidents are simple. Sometimes they are complex and you have to investigate to decide who caused the crash and who is liable for compensating you. You need evidence to prove why the collision occurred, who caused it, and who is responsible for paying for it. A lawyer knows how to conduct an efficient and in-depth investigation into a car accident so you have the evidence you need when you file a claim.
- Learn the law
You may think the law regarding personal injuries and property damage is simple until you have an insurance company or at-fault driver fighting back, not wanting to pay for your injuries. Then, it takes a complete understanding of your rights, the law, and insurance contracts to aggressively pursue compensation.
- Handle the insurance claims process
The insurance claims process should be straightforward. However, an insurer may try to make things difficult on you or take advantage of your lack of knowledge regarding the law and the insurance policy. By hiring a lawyer to represent you during the claims process, the insurer is less likely to violate your rights, delay claims, or give you low-ball offers.
- Protect your rights
In an ideal world, you would file an insurance claim and within a few weeks, you would be offered a sizable settlement. You would be able to cover your medical expenses and lost wages right away. Unfortunately, many car accidents lead to less-than-ideal circumstances. You may end up trying to fight with an insurance company that is acting in bad faith, wrongfully denying your claim or harassing you to accept a low-ball offer. By working with a lawyer who knows your rights, you have an advocate who can identify unfair and unlawful situations and work to correct them immediately.
- Represent you in court
Some car accidents cannot be resolved quickly through an insurance claim. You may have to file a personal injury suit to try to recover the compensation you deserve. Without any prior legal experience, this can be a daunting process. However, an attorney can handle the paperwork and administrative tasks for you. They can also attend all of the necessary court appearances throughout your case so you only have to go to court for specific hearings or the trial.
- Fully utilize the discovery process
You may need to file a personal injury suit because your insurance claim was denied or there was no insurance, to begin with. However, you may also need to file suit during the insurance claims process to utilize the discovery process. Discovery is the phase during a lawsuit where you and the other parties exchange documentation and information. This can advance your investigation into the accident and liability, helping you gain evidence to support your claim for compensation.
- Negotiate a settlement
If your insurance claim is approved, you may not receive a fair and reasonable offer right away. Many insurers will make an initial low-ball offer to try to minimize the claim pay out. They hope you accept the first offer right away to save them time and money. However, a lawyer will know how to determine the value of your claim and can assist with negotiating a fair settlement.
If someone is in a car crash, how do they know if they need a lawyer?
Many people who have been injured in an accident have expressed that the crash- although painful and frightening- is just the beginning. After that, there are hospital stays, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy to deal with. Adjusting to life after the accident is complicated by ongoing pain and a seemingly ever-growing stack of medical bills, overshadowed by a sense of unease about what the insurance company is going to do next.
You should consider hiring a car accident lawyer if:
You have medical bills
Medical debt is a serious problem in the United States, even for people who have insurance. A report from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 62% of people covered by health insurance still had problems paying medical bills. Bills for emergency care; X-rays, CAT scans, or other imaging studies; specialist opinions; and ongoing costs of physical therapy and rehabilitation pile up quickly. By letting an attorney handle your claim for you, you give yourself the best chance of having these bills covered.
Your claim involves more than one area of law
A car accident lawyer will also be able to advise you about the various different claims you may be able to pursue. Some examples of claims could include:
- An accident with a commercial vehicle or a drunk driver,
- Property Damage,
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Disabilities, and/or injuries
Your Attorney Is Your Legal Advocate
After suffering injuries in a car accident, it’s crucial to have the right legal representation at your side, battling the big insurance companies with the end goal of maximizing your compensation, so you can make a complete recovery. The wrong attorney may jeopardize the success of your claim and your recovery.
However, you must also remember that the insurance company does not have your best interest at heart. Every step of the way, the insurance company will look for ways to hold you partially or fully responsible for the accident so that it doesn’t have to pay out your claim.
While this practice may seem wrong, it happens to car accident injury victims like you every single day. Insurance companies are focused on their profits, not the well-being of accident victims. By being proactive and working with an experienced car accident lawyer, you give yourself a leg up. Your attorney will never take the side of the insurance company and will work to protect your rights.
Reasons to hire an experienced lawyer for your accident claims
- Liability — It may seem clear to you who was at fault, but the other party and their insurance company may not agree. Our lawyers are personally involved in the investigation, visiting the crash scene to gather evidence that may later prove crucial. We also have the resources to hire professional investigators and accident reconstruction experts if liability is disputed.
- Medical knowledge — Our attorneys are well-versed in the medical aspects of your case. We can establish a causal connection between your injuries and the other party’s negligence, and we are skilled at documenting medical progress and portraying the impact on your life — activities you can no longer enjoy, the effect on your ability to work, and ongoing pain or disabilities. Without legal help, the average person may forfeit many thousands of dollars in potential damages.
- Insurance companies — Insurers have an incentive to pay as slowly as possible and as little as possible. They can afford to play a waiting game. We are wise to the tactics that insurance companies use to deny, delay or minimize settlements. Our lawyers know what facts will convince insurers that your injuries are real and your damages are justified.
- Trial litigation — The vast majority of car accident claims are settled out of court. However, the amount of your settlement may hinge on the strength of your negotiating position. Turbin Chu Heidt regularly obtains good case results because of our courtroom reputation and demonstrated record of jury verdicts.
- Contingency fee representation — Like most injury firms, we provide a free, no-obligation consultation and case evaluation. We also take cases on contingency. This means that we bear the costs of investigation and case preparation, and you do not owe any legal fees unless we are successful in securing compensation for you. The more serious your injuries, the more important it is to have a qualified lawyer on your side.